1997 LICKING COUNTY HOUSING FORUM
For quicker reference, click on the section titles below. These links will take you directly to that area and are in the order as they appear in the actual document.
location of assisted housing inventory in Newark
location of assisted housing inventory in Licking County
Summary of Recent Surveys
Licking County Population Projections (Graphs) 1 and 2
Assisted Housing Location Map
Assisted Housing Location Map for cities of Newark and Heath
Licking County Active Subdivisions
Licking County Incorporated Areas:
Licking County Townships 1 and 2:
Licking County 1996-1997:
Homelessness in Licking County
The Need for Low Income Housing in Licking County
The Need for Elderly Housing
The Need for Housing for First-time Home Buyers
The Need for Housing for Persons with Mental Illness & Substance Abuse Issues
Recent Facts About Housing Needs
Licking County Coalition for Housing Client Needs Assessment Surveys
The population of Licking county is continuing to grow, especially in the western part of the county. Growth pressures from Columbus have caused land prices to increase and coupled with the increased economic growth and increased employment levels in the county, the average price of quality, affordable housing is also increasing.
First time homebuyers and families seeking affordable housing in the range of $60,000 to $80,000 are finding a dismal market with few choices. Homes that are available in this price range are often small or require extensive rehabilitation. Most new home begin constructed and placed on the market today are not "affordable" to a wide variety of individuals and families living in Licking County.
Renters are also having difficulties finding affordable housing. The average rent in Licking County ranges from $450 to $700 per month depending on the size and quality of the units. also, several property owners who once accepted Section 8 vouchers and certificates in the past have indicated that they will no longer do so.
the 1997 Licking community Housing Forum is an attempt to identify and describe continuing and emerging needs for affordable housing and to qualify resources available to address identified housing needs. With the help of everyone present, strategies will be developed to address the needs. The Forum will also celebrate the recent accomplishments of local organizations and government in their continuing efforts to address housing issues in Licking County.
A variety of sources were utilized in the development of this information packet. The packet provides and overview of current demographics and housing information pertinent to affordable housing issues. The following is a list of sources used:
- City of Newark One Year Use of Funds/Action Plan, 1997
- Licking County Coalition for Housing-Housing Needs Survey, April 1997
- East Mound CDC Affordable Housing Study, 1996
- Licking County Community Housing Improvement Strategy (CHIS) September, 1996
- Apartment Database for Licking County-August, 1996 (Prepared by the Licking County Coalition for Housing)
- Low Income/Assisted Living Apartment Database for Licking County. (Prepared by the Licking County Coalition for Housing)
- T.J. Evans House Project Application, 1995
- City of Newark, Ohio Consolidated Plan-April, 1995 (Plan)
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Project Application (Blue Heron), 1991
- Ohio County Profiles prepared by the Ohio Department of Development
- Licking County Profile provided by the Ohio Department of Human Services
- City of Newark/Licking County Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing
- These sources will be cited throughout this document.
These sources will be cited throughout this document.